Wednesday, May 6, 2015

day 11 to 15

Sorry no pics this time. They're on the camera and no way to get them off without a computer.

5-2-15. Day 11

15.8 miles, camped by cold springs shelter. Seemed like it was uphill all day long. I'm worn out. Can tell I'll be in bed by 8:00 pm. Think the trekking poles are working out. Now I have sore knees and sore elbows, but knees aren't as sore. Pretty sure I'll be sore somewhere all the way to Katahdin. Well bear bag is hung so about time for bed. Had cheese and jerky in a tortilla for dinner and it tasted pretty darn good.(not as good as homecooked though)

5-3-15 day 12

At A.Rufus Morgan Shelter. Only made it 10.7 miles today. Sat down at the shelter for a break and the body said it had had enough. Steep downhill most of the day. 7.7 miles to the next camp area with water and noooo way I could make that. Took me 7 hrs. today just to do the 10.7 miles, which I normally do in 4 1/2 hrs. Even though a beautiful day, I still had a rough time mentally today. Jaw was swollen this morning (stupid tooth) feet ached, knees ached...think that had something to do with my mental attitude. 0.8 miles from the NOC  think I'll see about getting some Dr. Scholls  inserts. Still not sure if I like the trekking poles or not. Sometimes I think I'm stressing to much over the mileage and forgetting to enjoy myself. Need to change that. So much for getting Dr scholls inserts tomorrow, store doesn't open till 10:00 am, I'll be long gone by then. Tiny little crickets everywhere on the trail today, which made all the leaves seem to dance. No place to do a bear hang here so I'll just hang it in the shelter to keep the meeces out.

5-4-15 day 13

At locust cove gap, camping out. Did 11.3 miles today. It was a lot of uphill climbing today, so am happy with the day. Better mental attitude today. Yeager and his buddy showed up at the shelter last night, and then Anne.and Poseidon showed up at about 9:30 pm. So it was good to have some company with people I knew. Only 2041.6 miles to go! The climb today went from 1723' to 5062'. Hanging out with snow and geeps tonight. Think I'm starting to get used to the trekking poles. Beginning to like them. Finger was swollen this morning and had to lance it. No idea what I did to it. Going to have to lance it again in the morning. Black and blue and full of puss.

5-5-15 day 14

Did 14.8 miles today. Camped at campsite (that's all It's called). Thought about going on into Fontana (another 3 1/2 miles) but think I would have got there in the dark. I need to do laundry and get a shower, so think I'll do a nero in Fontana and start the smokies thurs. Have some hotspots on my feet I need to tend to. It was a hot and sweaty day.

5-6-15. Day 15

 Guess I'll consider today a 3.5 mile day. Came into Fontana village to do laundry. Then walked to the shelter and then came back to Fontana village and rented a room. Didn't care for the shelter and no place I could find to camp. Did have a huge burger and fries. Felt full for about an hour. Ahhh life on the trail...always hungry! Off to the Great Smoky Mts. National Park tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment